Pages

Sunday 29 January 2012

Victor Meldrew Eat Your Heart Out


Hi all.

This week has been very productive on the mileage front.  Cycled 120 miles in total and also did a spinning session with Swim Trafford.  It was one of the harder sessions we have done and I overran by 10 minutes.  The kids always put maximum effort in and it really inspires me to push myself further.  It’s always nice to suffer a bit on the spinning bikes!

I had my first morning puncture this week and it caused me some problems in that I couldn’t get the damned thing off for 30minutes.  It took me in total about 45 minutes to get it completely sorted again and it’s a good job I had set off earlier then normal as I just made it to work in time.  I always seem to have problems with the Continental Gatorskins I use on the front wheels.  In that they are really difficult to get over the rim.  The armadillo tyres I run on the back wheels are really easy to change (frantically touching wood here).  This time of year the roads are always in a terrible condition due to the cold weather and the rain pushing everything into the cycle lanes.  It is probably the biggest gripe of mine that most drivers accuse cyclists of swerving and yet the part of the road we cycle on is probably the worst part to be on due to all the holes, drains and rubbish.  Whilst I am whinging I want to talk about another issue, which is the age old battle of traffic vs cyclists.  Now I am well aware there are some terrible cyclists out there running red lights, not signalling etc but I have to say there are just as many if not more inconsiderate drivers about.  The main thing though is ‘professional’ drivers such as bus drivers and taxi cars who seem to have cycling blind spots.  This week I have nearly been crushed into a paving kurb and squeezed into a bus shelter.  More cyclist awareness courses or another solution.  The dark nights and generally crappy weather probably do not make it easy for everyone but still I have flashing lights a luminous yellow jacket and luminous orange bag cover on if I was much more luminous I may start attracting planes.

The charity fundraising is going great guns.  On April 7th there will be a Charity Grudge…I mean Football match between Altrincham Leisure Centre and Sale Leisure Centre.  The game will be held at Partington Sports Village with a 13:30 kick off.  There will be a 50p spectator fee and a £5 player charge.  Mr Dave Williams Manager of PSV has kindly donated the pitch time so thanks must go to him.  I will be making a special guest appearance for Sale. 

So far I have managed to raise £220 of the £1500 I need and I have some ideas for more charity events including a couple of spin classes and a charity evening at a local pub.  More details to follow.  I still need you people to support me please www.charitygiving.co.uk/jamescrossland  even a £1 of your cash would be well appreciated.  On a night out just forgo your first pint and donate that to the cause!!

Finally I would like to say a massive congratulations to Chloe Waddell of Swim Trafford who this weekend achieved her British Champs qualifying time.  This is a mighty achievement and rewards for all those early mornings and hard training session she has put in.  I have to say massive respect to James Stannard and Keith of Swim Trafford for their most excellent coaching and of course Chloe’s parents who sacrifice a lot for her to swim.  Really motivating stuff keep it up!

Guys thanks for reading and supporting me!  Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment