Pages

Sunday 2 October 2011

Big orange mass of warmth…seen it before once I think.


What a glorious week we have had.  I will have to plan my Winter training sessions every week so that the sun can come out and keep me on the roads!  I think that if we had a bit more sun the UK would be a happier place to live I mean if you take  Australia for example it’s sunny and everyone is friendly and happy!

So this week saw the first full week of the new eating plan Ted did for me.  Let me explain the fundamentals of it.  It works on a point system.

  • +1 point for every 10 minutes of exercise (Max 5 points per day)
  • Daily start with 5 points for every meal that goes over 10g of fat -1 point.  Then -1 for every 10g of fat thereafter.
  • For every meal missed -1 point
  • 3 fruit snacks one in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, 1 in the evening if needed.  If missed -1 point.

So it’s very simple to follow and easy to record.  My aim each week is to get to 48points over 7 days.  My first week I achieved 50 points.  This is mostly down to my exercise plan and also eating a little better being more aware.  I am trying to be as honest as possible and have eaten two takeaways this week.  The good thing is I can see the point’s damage and the other thing is I am eating a lot more fruit which is healthy.

The exercise plan I am working to is 5 days a week doing various items;

  • Threshold Workout (Wattbike)
  • VO2 Workout (Wattbikes)
  • Swimming
  • Gym Session – 30minutes cardio, resistance and stretching
  • Road Cycling (Weather permitting)
  • General hill interval training on the wattbikes

This plan allows me to vary what I am doing each week so that I don’t get used to the exercise and my body cannot adapt to a regular routine.  It also keeps me interested as I suspect if I was doing the same thing over and over again it would mean me stopping exercising at some point.

Exercise totals

Cycling Commuting;  48.75km 
‘Leisure’ Cycling;       114.05 km (Including 1 x 21min VO2 max workout)
1 x Gym Session;         30 minutes cardio (Crosstraining and rowing)
                                    Various weights
                                    15minutes stretching

This week has also seen my good mate Rich heading down to the cycling show in Birmingham.  His company Pedal Precision do great work on bike fitting and the picture of his unit there looked very professional.  You can take a look at his website here www.pedalprecision.com

The next few weeks will see me coming together with James Stannard, Head Coach of Swim Trafford Elite Performance Squad, who are based at Stretford to start work on a nutrition programme and some psychological interventions to increase the performance of the squad.  It will be nice to start using my degree knowledge again and some of the other qualifications I have learnt.  I am currently putting together some power point presentations and some leaflets.  This has really enthused me again and I am looking forward to working with both the squad and James.

Have a good week and remember when you’re out exercising or in the gym
“Pain is fleeting, glory is forever”

No comments:

Post a Comment